Monday, November 21, 2011

Giving Thanks!



            I had another post planned for today, but since it’s a short week, I thought I’d take this time to share what I’m most thankful for instead, aside from my family. 
First off, thank you to all those who offered me advice on last week’s post.  It has helped me a great deal.  Even more thanks to Lora Rivera for suggesting The Poisonwood Bible in her comment, and to Julie Musil for her post on the book, Hate List.  Both recommendations have helped me decide on how to proceed with my WIP.


Then there’s you, my followers and fellow writer-bloggers.  As writers, we know this is a rather lonely avocation, but we feel pulled toward it regardless.  Lucky for our generation, we have the Internet and Blogger, or whatever service you use, to connect with folks you’d normally never have the opportunity to connect with.  But just because they’re there, doesn’t mean there is automatically a connection.  You have to work at it.  And it’s not always easy either.  So for what it’s worth, I’d like to say how grateful I am that you’ve all allowed me to make that connection with you.  I feel blessed to have so many other writers who are willing to share, teach, advise, or just talk with me.  What would have been lonely is now anything but.  So thank you!  I really don’t think I could do this without you.
            Within my group of online acquaintances, I’ve made quite a few honest-to-God friends, people who exchange manuscripts with me and others who enjoy exchanging emails.  There’s even one writer I get to interact with in person!  *GASP*  Her name is Jennifer Hillier.  I won a signed copy of her book, Creep, last summer and quickly became a fan, but what’s even more remarkable is that we actually became friends.


She lives an hour away, so from time to time, we meet up somewhere in the middle and have lunch and chat about all things writing.  Since the Seattle Puget Sound Area is not exactly the friendliest place on earth, I was grateful just to have a new friend, but even more so since she was a fellow writer, and even more because we write in the same genre, so we understand each other in ways others may not.  But alas, as is my luck, Jenny is moving back to her home town and country, Toronto, Canada.  This saddens me more than I can say, but I’m grateful just to have met her and feel privileged to call her my friend.  That won’t change just because she’s moving away.

(God, I wish I had a picture of us together!)

            Last, but certainly not least, I am eternally grateful to God for bringing Lisa Regan  into my life.  Sure, she is a fellow writer, and even writes in the same genre, but what we share is so much more intense and profound than just our writing.  We share our lives, the nitty gritty, the happiest of moments, and everything in between.  Yes, it began as a critiquing partnership and I can honestly say we have helped each other become better writers, but even though we’ve never actually met in person, Lisa knows me better than just about any human being on the face of the earth, save my husband.  Then again, she knows things even he does not.  *Shhh*  I know I couldn’t have survived the insanity that is my life without her.  I love her like an identical twin sister.
            So for you, my followers and fellow writers, for Jenny and for Lisa, I am incredibly thankful and I want the world, or anyone who is interested anyway, to know just how much.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, MY FRIENDS!


              

25 comments:

The East Coaster said...

What a beautiful post. Thank YOU for your sincerity and your wonderful spirit. Your blog is a joy to read...you capture every stage we writers go though.

JeffO said...

Lovely post, Nancy. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Unknown said...

There is a lot to be said for the relationships we establish on line! Their support and encouragement keep us going!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

What a wonderful post. I'm also grateful for the friendships I've formed and the support I've gained. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Al Penwasser said...

Thank YOU, Nancy. It's good to know we all have each other thanks to this magic medium.
The Puget Sound area isn't the friendliest area, for real? I hadn't heard that.
By the way, you take a great picture. I can say that without sounding like a creepy, old man stalker given to gas attacks. Because I live on the other side of the country and we'll never bump into each other at the grocery store.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And happy to have made a connection with you! Glad you met some blogger buddies in person and become friends. Friendships are precious!

M Pax said...

I'm thankful I met you, Nancy. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving. :D

Jessie Humphries said...

You are one lucky girl to have so many friends. I too feel lucky. Thanks for being my friend.

Carrie Butler said...

Wonderful post, Nancy! Happy Thanksgiving! *hugs* :)

Julianna said...

Hi Nancy! I found you on Unedited, Jen Daiker's blog. I, too am a writer...working on my first novel. Guess what, I live in Issaquah! So we are sort of neighbors! Are you in any writing critique groups? Or book clubs for that matter. I just moved here in April from West Seattle, so I am trying to find ways to connect! Great blog!

Donna K. Weaver said...

What a nice post, Nancy. I didn't mention in my blog post how thankful I am for the people I've met blogging, but that's definitely huge.

"Lucky for our generation, we have the Internet and Blogger, or whatever service you use, to connect with folks you’d normally never have the opportunity to connect with."

I've thought about this before. I don't feel like being a writer is as solitary as it was when I started out. There are so many wonderful, giving folks out there more than willing to help us on the way.

Jaye Robin Brown said...

Poisonwood Bible is one of my all-time favorites - are you doing a multiple POV novel?

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and good luck to you and your son.

Julius Cicero said...

We're all glad to have met each other on here during our individual journeys. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

LynNerdKelley said...

Oh, what a bummer that Jenny is moving away. I felt the same way when my writer friend, Stephanie, moved to Arizona, but at least she has family here and comes back to visit sometimes. And I have other writer friends that are best friends from years of being in the same critique group. And the friends I've met online are so awesome, too. I know what you mean about being thankful for them. What a great shout out to Jenny and Lisa and all your followers! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Nancy.

Lisa Regan said...

Thank you so much!!! That is so sweet. I feel exactly the same way toward you, as you know! I wish we had many pictures together. You are my rock and my sanity and my cheering section. What would I do without you? What a beautifully written post. It is such a bummer about Jenny moving.

Patti said...

Good friends are so important. I wish I had some who lived closer. They are a great thing to be thankful for.

Jennifer Hillier said...

I have a lump in my throat!

Okay, seriously, you and I and Lisa must figure out a way to all hang out together (once you two finally get your BFF quality in-person time together, of course!). How much fun would that be? I'll travel anywhere that works for you guys - BET ON IT!

I'm so glad I met you. Thank God for email and texting and Facebook - I have numerous ways to continue to stalk you. *insert evil laugh here*

Alexis Bass said...

It's so wonderful when you connect with the writing community! Have a great holiday weekend!

Peggy Eddleman said...

Those sound like some really awesome friends! I really love friends I've made in the writing community! One of mine lived just two states away, and we managed to meet once. Now she lives an ocean away. :'(

richard p hughes said...

Great post. We all feel thankful for these things, just have a hard time expressing it. Hats off to you.

. said...

You're welcome. Remember, never give up. You can do it. **cheering for you** :D

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Good friends are the best. And it's wonderful when friends share this love of writing. Thanks for this lovely post. And, Happy Thanksgiving!

raydenzel1 said...

I just stopped by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

ray

Empty Nest Insider said...

It's wonderful that you were able to meet some of your blogging friends in person, and develop such close relationships with them. It's sad that Jenny is moving, but I'm sure you'll keep in touch. It's been fun getting to know you. Happy Thanksgiving! Julie

Dawn Simon said...

Aw, what a nice post! I feel the same way about blog friends. The warmth and support is incredible! That's a super cute pic of you and Jennifer. One of my close writer buddies just moved to the East Coast, but we make sure to chat on the phone, via e-mail, or whatever. You guys will too, I'm sure! I hope you and Lisa meet in person very soon! :)

Happy Thanksgiving, Nancy! (Even though I'm a bit late!)