Thursday, May 3, 2012

Extreme Makeover - Blog Edition!



As an author racing towards launch day, I’m taking small steps to “establish my brand.”  That means creating a unique trade identity that effectively represents my product—my book(s). 

When I first developed my blog, it was all about my “hopeful journey towards publication.”  But now that publication looms a few short months away, I need to refocus and accurately characterize my professional label.  And so, since I write rather dark, twisted psychological thrillers dealing primarily with revenge and redemption, I felt a new look was in order. 


I first had to create a slogan that embodied my work, then devise a web page that graphically demonstrated it.  At this point, I don’t have the funds to pay someone to do that, so I did it myself, but with the help of a generous friend and supporter, writer Carrie Butler.


As one of my talented critique partners, Carrie completely understands the concept behind my soon-to-be published novel, The Mistaken.  And last night, as a way of congratulating me for my recent book deal, Carrie sent me a gift.  She designed the banner at the head of my blog.  I am blown away by her generosity, not to mention her extraordinary talent, both as a writer, and now as a designer. 

Thank you, Carrie, from the bottom, the top, and every side of my heart!

So, what do you guys think?  Isn’t it hot?  Haha, pun intended!


35 comments:

Juliana Haygert said...

It's gorgeous!
What a sweet gift! Congrats!

Annalisa Crawford said...

Wow - it's great. I really like it.

Kelly Barnes said...

The degraded font, with all the chips and dings in it, is a nice touch.

Good luck on the launch!

Intangible Hearts said...

It is hot and it sounds like you're on your way to being a big success. Congratulations.

Unknown said...

Love the new look! It's awesome!!!

Lisa Regan said...

It's hot! No pun intended. Hah hah hah. I really do love it. I think it's perfect and so fitting. And Carrie is amazingly talented and amazingly generous!

PT Dilloway said...

I've never been fond of black backgrounds. At least the text is light enough to be read, unlike other blogs I've seen.

Luanne G. Smith said...

Blog on fire!

Yeah, very hot. Well done and very professional looking.

JeffO said...

mommy, I'm scared!

JeffO said...

All kidding aside, it looks fantastic. Well done.

And Carrie's good, isn't she?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It looks great! I have no problem with the background being black.

Carrie Butler said...

Do you ever start reading a post, then flinch when you see your face? If I weren't bumming it today, I'd swear that was a mirror. *Grins* Thanks for all the love, Nancy! I'm so glad you're happy with it! :D

Liza said...

It looks great! Perfect for your genre. Hooray!

M Pax said...

Great new look, Nancy. I love your tag line. Only a few months? fantastic. Can't wait to read it.

Donna B. McNicol said...

Love it...so classy!

D.E. Malone said...

Great-looking makeover! It must be the week for it - I got one, too!

Jessica Salyer said...

Really hot. Love it.

Al Penwasser said...

Looks great!
But I'm a little scared.
It burns...it burns.....

Empty Nest Insider said...

It really looks terrific! Everything is color coordinated, flows beautifully, and has an edgy quality to it! You and Carrie did an outstanding job! Julie

Natalie Aguirre said...

Wow! This looks great. And I bet matches what you write. Awesome that you're getting closer to your publication date.

Golden Eagle said...

I love your new blog look! :)

Mark Koopmans said...

Wow, that Nancy S. Thompson is HOT:)

Er, wait, hang on... what I meant - what I mean - is the *new* banner is hot :)

(Blushes...)

Great job, Carrie, and way to go Nancy on getting the branding off to a flamin' hot start :)

Julie Musil said...

Wow, this looks so amazing! Great job, ladies!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Love the header. It looks fabulous. I also like that you went orange text rather than white text on the black background for the blog in general. It's a lot easier to read that way if you are going with the black background. Yay for the new look :)

Tara Tyler said...

so awesome! how did she heat up the font? wicked!

Raymond Alexander Kukkee said...

VERY hot and beautiful! Great job, it is a brand, no doubt about it!

Nicky Wells said...

It's phenomenal, dark and hot and burning and intense. Well done!!

Heather M. Gardner said...

Love your name in lights!

Heather

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous color scheme and layout! I'm really looking forward to reading The Mistaken. :)

Author A.O. Peart said...

Love the banner. The log line is fabulous - really sets the theme!

Lynn Proctor said...

grabs your attention and is very attractive!

StratPlayerCJF said...

Wow -- Hot 'n' Fire-filled!

I think it looks awesome, Nancy.

Plus, with the dark background and the stark contrasts with the test, I think it's actually easier to read, too.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Looks fantastic! Good job, you two!

Natalie Sharpston said...

What a great tagline. And the blog is dark and mysterious and very hot! :)
How exciting to see you update your site to reflect your hard work and progress... the evolution of a blog and writer. Woohoo! :)

Melodie Wright said...

Love the new look! You and Carrie are both talented. ;)