Friday, February 10, 2012

I'll Tumble 4 Ya Blogfest



Today, blogging buddies Mary Pax, Nicki Elson, and Suze from Analog Breakfast are hosting the Who Was Your 80’s Crush: I’ll Tumble 4 Ya Blogfest!  Since I love me a good blogfest, I wanted to participate, so I signed right up.  Thing is, I couldn’t really recall anyone I was seriously crushin’ on in the 80’s.

Having just graduated high school in 1982, I was a young woman, and very much in love with one young(er) man.  This man eventually became my husband.  Since he was, and still is, exceptionally hot, I really didn’t care too much about any others.

My husband, Eric, as a young man - YUM!

But there was one young actor who was exactly my age and, dare I say, super cute: former teen idol, Johnny Depp.  Even better than cute, he was a rebel, a rocker with his own band, and the owner of a nightclub where all the hot, young LA movie stars hung out.  Oddly enough, his first major film role was as the boyfriend to Nancy Thompson in A Nightmare on Elm Street.  And, stranger still, he was a close friend of gonzo journalist/writer, Hunter S. Thompson, and eventually portrayed him in not one, but two films.  How funny is that?!     


Early in his career, and, apparently, much to his chagrin, Johnny starred in the Fox police drama, 21 Jump Street.  Now, I never even watched that show, but he did manage to turn my head whenever his name appeared in the news, which, back then, was quite often, as he was linked to some highly visible young hotties, namely Twin Peaks actress Sherilyn Fenn, supermodel Kate Moss, and Gen-X rising star Winona Ryder.  And Johnny had a wild streak that often got him into trouble with the purveyors of many a five-star hotel where he allegedly wreaked havoc and destruction. 


Yes, I love bad boys, and, back then, Johnny Depp was King of the Bad Boys.  He calmed way down after the death of his close friend and rising star, River Phoenix, just outside the front door of his West Hollywood nightclub, The Viper Room.  Johnny turned quite introspective shortly thereafter.  It wasn’t much later when Johnny moved to France to escape the ever-present camera lens of the US paparazzi.  There he met Vanessa Paradis, a beautiful French film actress with whom he has two children.  Unfortunately, this relationship has recently come to an end.


During his career, Johnny Depp made a habit of taking on strange roles, most notably, with his friend and collaborator, oddball director Tim Burton, but Johnny’s career made a mainstream comeback when he took on the role of Captain Jack Sparrow in Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean film franchise.  Now, all generations of filmgoers know Johnny Depp’s name.  He’s even hotter now than he was as a teen idol in the 80’s 


Interestingly, a new film is ready to be released based on Fox’s original show, 21 Jump Street, though the movie is more of a tongue-in-cheek homage rather than an adaptation of the former weekly series.  But what I found intriguing is this old interview where Johnny Depp was asked if he would ever consider reviving his role 20 to 30 years in the future should anyone ever decide to remake 21 Jump Street into a feature film.


The interviewer says, “Wouldn’t it be cool—remember that old guy Johnny Depp?  He’s still around somewhere.  Let’s see if we can find him and get him to drop a few pounds and he could play the father of the guy he used to play.  Would you do that?” he asks Johnny.  And Johnny replies, “Yeah, I would do it.  I’d come out of the old folks home to do that.  Sure”


Funny, huh?  Johnny is still gorgeous and he’s as hot as ever, even more so.  And I bet it’s that interviewer who is currently fat and living in some retirement complex in Florida

‘Cause it sure ain’t Johnny Depp!  Wowza! 


So, who was YOUR 80's crush?  Or, if you were too young or *gasp* not even alive yet, who would you have crushed on back then?  Or who are you crushin' on right now?  If I was a young girl, I would be crushin' on this young man, Thomas McDonell.


Doesn't he look a lot like Johnny Depp?

Oh yeah, one more thing: I won a first round entry in Cupid's Literary Connection Blind Speed Dating Contest.  My entry will go up live starting Monday, February 13th.  Please, please, go comment!  I'd love to hear what you think.  And I'm dying to make to the next round!

        

40 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sure Depp will show up on many lists today. And that's really cool you and your husband are still married. That doesn't happen often anymore.

Julie Flanders said...

Oh yes, Johnny Depp was too much. My college roommate and I never missed 21 Jump Street, solely because of Depp. Great choice! And nice picture of your husband too, congrats on such a long and happy marriage. :)

DL Hammons said...

I have an enormous amount of respect for Johnny Depp as an actor. There isn't ANY role he couldn't take on! :)

Luanne G. Smith said...

Swoon. Who doesn't love them some Johnny Depp!?!

My crush on him came later, though. I think he's even more handsome now than he was back in his 21 Jump Street days.

And I can't believe you've been with your husband so long. Wow. Good for you guys.

Unknown said...

Good old Johnny! Remember Jan Michael Vincent, what ever happened to him? Been married for 22 years to a younger man so guess I could say he was my major crush in the 80's as well :)

M said...

Johnny Depp is a great choice! Surprisingly, I've been visiting some of these sites on the blogfest, and you're the first person I've seen mention him.

~M Pepper Langlinais
http://pepperwords.com

Heather Murphy said...

I like Johnny Depp now but back then, I was going to marry River Phoenix. We just never had the chance to meet :( So sad!

Tara Tyler said...

johnny depp is very crush worthy!
unattainable, demi-god from a greek tragedy
and a whackadoo!
nice pick!

have a hearts and flowers weekend with your handsome romeo!

Linda King said...

Oooh, Nancy - thanks for all the pics of the gorgeous Johnny - made my day! He wasn't my crush in the 80s, but he's definitely one of my crushes now!

Patricia said...

Oh Johnny, so much love for you, there aren't words! I fell hard the second I saw him on 21 Jump St (I even had the soundtrack) and I've adored him ever since <3 Nice choice!

Matthew MacNish said...

Depp is one of those guys even dudes can like, because he has so much personality. Unless, you know, he's actually an asshole.

Nicki Elson said...

He totally looks like Johnny Depp! Thanks for all these pictures of him, Johhny D will be my pick when we do a crushfest for this decade...somehow he got right by me in the 80s. That's hilarious about the interview question.

Thanks for playing along on the fest!

Susan Fields said...

My query was up on Cupid's blog this week and, yay, I made it to the agent round! Good luck to you!

John Taylor was my 80s crush, but Johnny Depp is my now crush - yum!

Annalisa Crawford said...

I think he looks much better now than he did when he was young, but he's got such an amazing face he can be Captain Jack Sparrow (swoon) as well as Willy Wonka (not swoon)!

Emily R. King said...

Okay, YOU WIN! Johnny Depp... hello? STILL my crush. Yum!

M Pax said...

Your man really is uber hot, Nancy. And Johnny Depp. Well, I think he keeps getting better.

Rek Sesh said...

Johnny is a worthy choice, and so is your husband if I may say so. I found Depp much later in the 90's so my choice ends with Cruise

Carrie-Anne said...

Wonderful choice! Johnny has aged very well, and does look even hotter now than he did back then.

JeffO said...

Depp is a brilliant actor, very versatile.

Suze said...

Nancy, I loved that your true '80s crush was the guy you ended up gettin' hitched to.

Otherwise, this was quite the Depp tribute!

Christine Rains said...

Johnny Depp. Nice choice! He's still going strong and still as gorgeous as ever.

Susan Oloier said...

Johnny Depp is a beautiful man.

Carrie Butler said...

Nice crush(es), Nancy! :)

I was pretty young in the '80s--still rockin' pigtails and drinking Micro-shakes. LOL Since Saved by the Bell technically aired in 1989, I'll go with Mark-Paul Gosselaar. ;)

Author A.O. Peart said...

Johnny Depp has always been on my list of the favorite actors, and not only for his hot looks but for an amazing talent as well.

Great photo of your hubby, Nancy. So funny - I have a picture of my husband and it is so similar: the pose, the clothes, the truck. Hilarious.

Julie Musil said...

Love the photo of your husband! I totally remember those days of short shirts and cropped sleeves

Jennifer Lane said...

Excellent research on Johnny! But your husband is way cuter than him. :)

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Congratulations on winning the contest! Bravo. As for Mr. Depp. I'm old and I think he's hot. I remember first seeing him as the medic in Platoon. He shone even in that dark film.

Some hotties from the 80s, Richard Gere, Tom Berenger, Tom Cruise, and who could forget Don Johnson.

Joylene Nowell Butler, Author

The Armchair Squid said...

It's quite a fascinating journey he's taken. You know your subject well!

Anonymous said...

Kuddos on winning the contest. LOVED Johnny since I was 5, & Bon Jovi:) Can't wait to see the new 21 Jump Street!

Jade Hart said...

Johnny depp is my crush too :) He's so dreamy. Excellent choice :) lol

Catherine Stine said...

I totally agree that Johnny Depp is talented, handsome, and satisfyingly edgy. I just wrote a YA futuristic thriller--I love writing suspenseful scenes--I'm in this blogfest but also another where you post excerpts--I have a very short one from my thriller so stop by if you like. Following you now. Cheers.

Lisa Regan said...

Well I can see why you were crazy over Eric and never looked back! LOL. Oh My God, I was OBSESSED with 21 Jumpstreet. OBSESSED. I loved Johnny Depp in that show. He was so hot. I bought the first season of 21 Jumpstreet when they released it on DVD like 5 or 6 years ago and when I watched it, it was truly awful. I couldn't believe I had loved it so much!

Sarah Tokeley said...

Thank you for the wonderful pictures! I've been a fan of Johnny since the Jump Street days, and he's only got better as he's aged :-)

Theresa Milstein said...

Johnny Depp's career is really impressive. When he did Edward Scissorhands, he showed he didn't need to just capitalized on his looks. He's my favorite pirate.

Trisha said...

Johnny Depp is one of a kind, a true legend of the film industry. And he can still get away with being on walls in posters! hehe

Your hubby was totally hot *nod*

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Oh!! Johnny is the hottest guy on Earth! Erm, cough, after my husband, of course ;)

Empty Nest Insider said...

Johnny Depp is a wonderful actor, but I think your husband is even better looking! That picture looks like a poster I would've had up on my dorm room wall!
I would love to see pictures of your son too! Julie

Melodie said...

I'd totally forgotten Johnny Depp owned The Viper Room. And no mention of Edward Scissorhands?? ;)
Johnny Depp has only gotten hotter w/ the years, that's for sure. Wonder if he's gone to a plastic surgeon like all the female stars of his age??

Unknown said...

official statement dolabuy.ru index buy replica bags online learn this here now good quality replica bags

thysaez said...

replica bags wholesale hong kong directory d9u75t8w29 replica bags by joy visit this website v2m95m4e91 replica louis vuitton bags 7a replica bags philippines v3o64j0h51 replica bags los angeles pop over here g0a60a7v04 replica bags on amazon