Monday, February 20, 2012

Really? You Wanna Know That?


I've been tagged!

With all that blog partying last week, I was thinking I could get down to business and focus on something writerly-ish, but alas, I have been tagged by four separate people in the last week or so, and I can’t let that go without some sort of response, so this post will be dedicated to answering a few questions from each tagger:

From my very bestest friend in all the world, Lisa Regan, who, I might add, just got married on Valentine’s Day—YAY LISA!! 

1.      What is the first line of your current WIP?

(From my second novel, Parasite)  It took five men in all, each over two hundred pounds and burdened with a bulletproof vest, a gun, a taser, handcuffs, and a nightstick, but they used neither their weapons, nor their restraints, just their bare hands and a thousand pounds of brute force.   (Yeah, it needs some work, but it’s the first draft so…)

2.      Would you rather have one book published that became a classic or have multiple books that sell well but eventually go out of print?

Definitely multiple books.  I want to reach as many people as I can while I walk this earth.  What happens after I leave means little. 

3.      What was the weirdest moment of writing inspiration you’ve ever had?

Well, I just told this story for my Origins post.  The fact that I was inspired to write at all was weird enough, but that it came to me through one song on one beautiful sunny day was weirder still.  That one moment produced an entire 95,000 word manuscript.

Next, a few questions from the delightful  Donna K. Weaver at Weaving a Tale or Two:

4.      What was my favorite book in 2011?

In non-fiction, I’d have to say “The Fire in Fiction” by Donald Maass.
In fiction, it’s “Creep” by Jennifer Hillier , hands down, and not because she’s a great friend of mine, but rather because it’s one helluva fantastic read and right up my alley!

5.      Who is your favorite author?

That’s easy, Greg Iles.  I’ve read each of his contemporary thrillers, all eleven of them, at least three times. 

6.      Who is your favorite, Bill or Ted, and why? 

Another easy one, Ted, because…well, he’s Keanu Reeves…DUH!!!

From new follower, Cortney Pearson:

7.      Plotter or pantster?

This one’s not so easy.  With my first novel, The Mistaken, it was thoroughly plotted with a very detailed outline that took me over four weeks to complete.  But now that I’m working on my next project, Parasite, I’ve been pantsting quite a bit.  I do have a lot of notes, but not in outline form, so I’m kind of wingin’ it this time around.  Scary!

8.      If you could go back and do anything over again, what would it be?

This is a tough question.  If it were only about me, I’d say I’d go back to 1984 and keep my daughter, Julia, instead of giving in to my parents demands and giving her up for adoption.  Biggest regret of my life.  But she’s had a remarkable life, so for her, it was the best decision.  Me?  Yeah, not so much.

9.      What’s the coolest thing you’ve ever done?

I, along with my husband, used to guide white water rafts down the south fork of the American River just east of Sacramento, CA.  Total freakin’ blast, man!  And often scary as hell!!

And from another new follower, Leigh Covington:

10.  If you could meet the President of the United States, what would you say to him?

Not bad for a democrat.

11.  What is your favorite quote?

“Never quit!” by Winston Churchill 

Okay, that’s eleven.  Now it’s my turn to tag someone.  There are many I would like to ask, including a few who don’t normally do this type of thing (Lynda R. YoungJulie MusilAlex J. Cavanaugh, Matthew MacNish, & Jami Gold  )  So here are a few I think would, but haven’t yet:
           
            Jennifer Hillier
            Mark Koopmans
            LG Smith
            Al Penwasser
            Mary Pax
            Julie Kemp Pick

And because this post is already way too long, instead of thinking up new ones of my own, I’d like each of these fine writers to answer the same questions I just did. 


Lastly, I’d like to thank the lovely Natalie Sharpston for bestowing me with the Kreativ Blogger Award.  In receiving this award, I’m supposed to list seven things about myself that might be interesting, but I think the eleven items above will suffice, but thank you so very much, Natalie!
           
            

21 comments:

StratPlayerCJF said...

Really interesting Q & A, Nancy! Thank you for sharing. ;)

Anonymous said...

I had to comment on your favorite quote by Churchill, "Never quit!" This too has been my life quote since I was a kid. I've always believed in never surrendering, even in the face of absolute defeat...to always keep going, giving it my all in every situation no matter how bad things get!

Thank you so much for this reminder! I forget at times, but reading your favorite quote has put me back on course. Thank you, Nancy. :)

Nancy said...

I have never read Greg Iles. I will have to check him out. Nice answers and how honest about your daughter. It takes a big heart to know that something that would be best for us wouldn't always be best for everyone.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Nice job picking the questions.

And I agree with you about Ted. But the pair of them together just made me laugh. Love that movie.

Seriously? We used to live in Sacramento. We did the mild run with the kids from the American River Bridge and stopping at Goethe Park. So much fun.

Cassie Mae said...

Ah a fellow Keanu Reeves fan. *high fives*

Deana said...

You are so loved! You broke my heart with your little girl and cheered me up with loving Ted:) I've loved hearing more about you Nancy!

Movies on my Mind said...

Keanu Reeves is a god! Saw him in I LOVE YOU TO DEATH last night. The dude hasn't aged in 22 years

Unknown said...

HaHa! I just got the email that you commented on my tag blog post... while I was reading yours! :D

Look at you with all the tags. :)

cleemckenzie said...

Tagging is epidemic this week. I was tagged and almost tagged you. Good thing I checked in before I did that.

I've done a lot of white water rafting in northern CA. My all time favorite rapid is the Tunnel Shoot! Can't do that and not feel super charged, right?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry you had to give up your daughter.
Thank you for not tagging me, mostly because I wouldn't have time to respond for weeks.

Al Penwasser said...

Tag! I'm it.
You better believe I'll participate (especially now that I've figured out what 'WIP' means).

Laura said...

What good timing this was - a great post to meet you on! Popped over from Alex's blog. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to got through giving up your daughter - and your brave comment about it made my chin drop. Very nice to meet and follow you
Laura xxx

Golden Eagle said...

This tag really seems to be getting around the blogosphere!

It was great to learn more about you.

Congratulations on the award. :)

Luanne G. Smith said...

Ack! I still have to answer Lisa's questions too. But I like how you combined your questions, so I may do that too. Whew, I'm still getting caught up after those two back-to-back blogfests. Wore me out.

Really cool about you being a white water river guide! I still want to do a trip like that down the Colorado river.

M Pax said...

I have a similar favorite quote. I love your opening line. Very nice. Makes me want to keep reading to know what it's about.

Will get to the tags next week. :)

Carrie Butler said...

"I want to reach as many people as I can while I walk this earth. What happens after I leave means little." I LOVE this answer, Nancy! :) Oh, and congratulations on your award!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Oh I love white water rafting!! So much fun!
And aw, thanks for the mention. Hugs.

Melodie said...

Point Break was one of my favorites for a while. And 'Creep' is definitely on my TBR list.

Lydia Kang said...

Ted was way cuter that Bill. I read Creep last year and I loved it too!

Mark Koopmans said...

Hey,

Cheers for tagging me (gggrrr:) but in all seriousness, thanks for sharing about Julia. With three boys, I can't imagine how you must have felt, but I hope that you and her will one day be at peace with the past.

Good luck, and (hugs)

Empty Nest Insider said...

I'm so sorry that you had to make such a brave and selfless decision about your daughter Julia. You did an excellent job with the questions, and I also love your opening line! Thanks for including me with such an impressive list of bloggers! I may have to disqualify myself as I don't have a WIP, unless I conjure one up soon. Julie